Entry for Święte (or Schwenten), which is the town where my great-great grandparents were married and some of their family had lived.
Święte is currently located in the administrative district of Gmina Łasin, within Grudziądz County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, in north-central Poland.
Święte, In German: Schwenten, documented as: Swenten, Hennyngesdorff, Hennigisdorf, Henningisdorg, Svente, and in about 1400 Heiligsdorf, Hoenigsdorf, a knightly estate with a Catholic parish church, Grudziądz district, post office at Goczałki (about 2.5km), together with rectory (3 houses, 52 inhabitants), 605 hectares (457 under cultivation, 40 meadow, 8 forest); in 1885 14 houses, 40 homes, 231 inhabitants (177 Catholic, 54 Evangelical Protestant). School with 3 simultaneous classes (220 students and 2 teachers). Church building called by the name of Saint Barbary, private patronage; In 1867 the parish (Deanery of Lasin) had 1150 souls, and in 1889: 1347. The composition of the parish includes: Święte, Huta, Kozlowo, Krzywki, Lessenwalde, Nowy Folwark, Waldówko, Szalasy, Babki, Dohnastaedt, Goczałki, Osówko, Tymawa, M. Tymawa, Bellingswalde, Goryn, Kisielice, Spikora, Waldowo, Sobiewola and Limza.
Święte already existed before the arrival of the Crusaders and, according to the legend, took its name from here, the locals, as zealous Christians, suffered martyrdom at the hands of the Gentiles. When the Crusaders on the court originally founded a new village here, the court removed its ancient name and took from his judge Henning, the name of Hennyngesdorf. But the name was not accepted by the people (refer to Ketrzynski “The Nation of Poland”, str. 98). Therefore, during the time of Pawla of Russdorf (1422-1441) returned the name of Święte.
For the first time in 1314 it mentions Karl von Trier, issued a city charter for Łasin. In 1366, Winrich von Kniprode updated the city charter, having a cover with peat bog 101 wlók and 11 morg boundaries to account for: Waldowo, Szonowo, Lasin and Rogozno. The mayor has 7 włóka '(ed: regarded as a “full–sized farm,” one big enough to provide a living)' free for Chelmno law and collects 1/3 of court fines, 2/3 the law. The pastor has 6 free wlók; the rest of the inhabitants of the wlók are almost all inherited as part of Chelmno, however, every year on the day of Saint Martin to levy rent half of the fine and 2 hens. If he showed more or less wlók, this applies to it and rent. Dan Rogoźno, who was komturship '(ed: a rank within military orders, especially the Teutonic Knights)', or aldermanship, owned Święte.
In 1369, the Mayor gives Jan Rogozinski AKA Wichholz, village leader in Hennyngsdorf, 13 1/2 morgs in the woods in addition to the orchards. In 1376, Jeske von Swenten occured, Jaśko ze Świętego (Ketrz., 1 c., 124). In 1414, loss of the Teutonic Knights’ Hunger War, the village suffered 2226 grzy [monetary unit] worth of damage, also 3 people were killed.
The rent book from the year 1435 shows 99 wlók, the Mayor of whom has 7, and parish has 6; rents were 88, also an inn. In the year 1442 there were 101 wlók; 7 for the Mayor, 6 parish priest, 22 empty. In the year 1454, there is Jocusch von Swenten, Jakusz ze Świętego (Kętrz., 1 c.).
In the year 1599, Święte acquires Wałdówko from the widow of Starosta of Radzyń, Hugonie Dabrowskim, Katarzyna of Dzialynskich from the heirs after Mik. Kostce de Szembek.
Around 1667, Jan Dabrowski held the lands that his father Feliks had held previously. A visitor found a demolished church, does not know whether it was the only parish or chapel; claimed it was a brick foundation. By the lake lay a cemetery. It was said that the church had the title of Saint Barbara and that the parish had four wlók but no one knew how to mark their boundaries. On the spot of the church a cross stood tall (refer to p. 489). Already at that time the wlók was converted into a rural manor. According to the fees paid to Święte in 1722, 12 grzy [monetary unit] by the heir of Kozlowski, who pledged for so long to use the land for a parish rectory in Łasin to pay 60 florians annually by his son Waclaw Kozlowski, heir to Święte and Goczalkach. Asked the bishop of the parish to give to him 4 wlók , partly overgrown chróstem. The church was set up in 1736 and a stone wall was erected for the Prussian rectory by the first priest, Adempski, whom was installed in the year 1733.
After Kozłowski took over the lands in about the year 1741, the local judge of Chelmno Adam Kosowski took possession of the land. He is sued and replaced and put on trial for the rest of the parish wlók and won it, such that it once again included the rectory’s 6 wlók valued as a charter of the Teutonic Order in the year 1366, for the parish. It was then 6 wlók in the Swiete field, 8 in Krzywce, 6 in Wałdówku, 2 in Józefów, in addition to five homesteads in Lessenwalde.
In the year 1777 belonging to the local key: Święte , Huta, Kozlowo, Krzywka and Waldówko, 89 wlók total 6 1/2 morgs, between 20 morgs that of meadows, 20 wlok forest, a vegetable garden and fruit by 3 morgs, lake by 9 morgs, bordering wilderness of a wlók and 24 morgs, an inn, windmill, in addition to orchards, the right to hunting, brewing beer and patronage of the church. Święte itself included 57 wlok and 6 1/2 acres and brought in, together with the forest and garden, 596 talar 88 grzywny net profit.
In year 1786 Franciszek Leski owned Święte and the colony of (the same name) Święte. The same was purchased by them subhasty Karol Ferdynand of Gersdorff for 20,200 talar (refer to Gesch. d. Graud. Kr. v. Froehlich, str. 308—311). Ks. Fr.
- Słownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1895, vol. 11, p.694-695]. Retrieved from http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_XI/694 on 8 Nov 2011 and 5 Nov 2014.